Wednesday, October 20, 2010

TEACHING CHILDREN TO ANALYSE ADVERTISEMENTS

I’m a teacher, and I am very interested in how we can teach children how to deal with advertisements – we   get bombarded with them every day.  What effect does it have on impressionable children? How can children learn how to withstand the constant pressure, and get to understand the tricks that are used?
I found five very good sites, with lesson materials. The third one has over 30 links to lessons.

Analysing Television Advertisements
http://www.bishopdavidbrown.surrey.sch.uk/docs/3.pdf



Analysing Political TV Spot Ads
http://www.frankwbaker.com/tvspots.htm


30 links to lessons and lesson materials regarding advertising
http://www.teachit.co.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=11&T=411


Analysing a Levis Advertisement -  Lesson Plan
http://www.teachers.tv/videos/ks3-ks4-english-and-media-teaching-media-analysing-an-advert


Analyzing Media: Cutthroat Competition-Comparing TV Commercials
http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr11/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media_pt3&ch=26

1 comment:

  1. Some of these are really interesting. I too am interested in the effects of media on children, though my interest is more in regards to what cultural lesson we are teaching them through our current television show content on australian television. what is interesting is that there are concepts here that can translate to that as well though. It is truley disturbing when you think about what we are teaching our children through advertisments (such as the need for vapid consumerism as well as other moral lessons) but then how these same messages may be seeping in through childrens programs content.

    ReplyDelete